2023 Floral Design Study
March 13 @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pm
One event on January 16, 2023 at 9:30 am
One event on January 30, 2023 at 9:30 am
One event on February 6, 2023 at 9:30 am
One event on March 6, 2023 at 9:30 am
One event on March 13, 2023 at 9:30 am
Become an Amazing Floral Designer!
Floral Design Study is a six-unit series with the goal of developing an understanding of the art of flower arranging for the home, community settings, or flower shows. Six classes cover basic floral design.
Each class begins with lecture and demonstration throughout the morning. The instructor will create floral designs as she explains the required materials and techniques. Students are then given time after lunch to create their own designs followed by a discussion of each.
All units are taught by National Federation of Garden Clubs Master Judges and Instructors. These instructors teach and compete throughout the country and have represented the United States in international competition. Their work has been showcased in Design Dimensions and Concepts Magazines as well as FFGC and NGC Calendars. The instructor will share her extensive knowledge of floral design with students in a way that is both entertaining and easy to understand.
Line materials, foliage, and flowers are supplied for the first three classes. Advanced registration is required. Students may repeat the series as many times as they wish. Members completing the first six units will receive a Certificate of Completion, which provides eligibility to continue to more advanced classes. Graduates will dazzle friends and family with beautiful floral arrangements. What a fabulous way to spend your Mondays learning, enjoying friendships, and stimulating your creativity!
Open to Everyone!
- Units 1-6: $110
- Individual Units: $25 each
Unit 1: January 9, 2023
- Overview of floral design and Principles of Design
- Basic tools and mechanics
- Types of containers
- Forms of plant materials
- Demonstrations of vertical, asymmetrical, and crescent designs
Unit 2: January 16, 2023
- Care, cutting, and grooming of plant materials
- Mechanics for different containers
- Elements of Design
- Demonstrations of symmetrical, asymmetrical, and diagonal designs
Unit 3: January 30, 2023
- Compatibility of plant materials with containers
- Selecting materials for curved designs and geometric line designs
- Use of fruits and vegetables in designs
- Demonstrations of crescent and Hogarth designs
Unit 4: February 6, 2023
- Table settings and coordination of floral designs with table components
- Demonstration of functional and exhibition tables for home and flower shows
Unit 5: March 6, 2023
- How to use bases, features, featured objects, and accessories
- Demonstrations of bases, features, featured objects, and accessories
Unit 6: March 13, 2023
- How to condition and transport plant materials
- Discussion of Awards in a Flower Show
- Demonstration of Expressive and Interpretive Designs
Curriculum provided by Florida Federation of Garden Clubs
This program will be offered in-person at the Garden Club. Masks are optional for those who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Those who are unvaccinated should wear masks; the Garden Club appreciates your cooperation.
Sample Class Agenda
- 9:30 a.m. Check-in
- 10 a.m. Lecuture/demonstration begins
- 11 a.m. Break
- 11:15 a.m. Lecture demonstration resumes
- 12:15 p.m. Lunch (attendees bring their own lunch)
- 12:45 p.m. Workshop: Attendees create designs
- 1:30 p.m. Instructor discussion/evaluation
- 2:45 p.m. Clean-up
- 3 p.m. End of class